Viewing Videos in Canvas
WSU Online recommends using Chrome or Firefox as your internet browser. These browsers require extra security steps to display embedded videos in this course. Please follow the directions below to ‘allow’ the displaying of content.
NOTE: iPad’s and other iOS devices are not compatible with Flash based videos. If you are using one of these devices, please read the video transcript or click on the following link: <place link to your video file here>.
A new Calendar tool is available for WSU Canvas users. Much like the release of the new Gradebook, users can toggle between the new and old versions (for a limited time). The new Calendar looks different than the old calendar, but has the same functionality plus some new features. Look below the new calendar image for a list of new features.
- The new sidebar features more vibrant colors to view multiple courses easier, better layout to be more efficient, and maintained filter-in functionality.
- In the new Calendar, when you click the Show undated events link, you will see a list of events and assignments. The assignments and events will be differentiated by icons and by the personal, course, or group calendar color.
- Calendar Events are shown in the color boxes and Due Dates for Assignments are shown in white boxes with the word due before the Assignment name. Each are color-coded to match the courses or calendars in the sidebar.
- The new Calendar has different buttons to click to move from month to month. Click the arrow buttons to view previous and future months.
- Instead of having to access the sidebar to add a new event, users can now add a new event at the top of the calendar, next to the refresh icon.
- If a course has sections with varied due dates, instructors will see the multiple due dates. Students will only see their section’s due date.
- The new Calendar view available is Week. Click Week or Month to open that particular view.
- The new Calendar allows you to view All Day Events at the top slot of the calendar week.
- On the new Calendar for the week view, the time slots go from 12:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Visit the Canvas Guides for more information regarding the new Calendar featureRead More
Instructors rejoice! You can now take attendance in Canvas. Click on the Attendance option in the left hand course navigation menu and you will be directed to Roll Call, an external tool that has been integrated into Canvas courses at WSU. Follow these links to the Canvas Guides for more details:Read More
Thanks to NYTimes.com Academic Passes, WSU instructors and students have full access to the extensive news, multimedia and archives of The New York Times without needing a subscription. Each time you claim a pass you get 24 consecutive hours of access to NYTimes.com.*
TO CLAIM YOUR FIRST PASS:
• Visit nytimes.com/passes
• Click on REGISTER and create a NYTimes.com account using your school e-mail address
• Check your e-mail and click on the link in the NYTimes confirmation e-mail. You’re done!
*You must have a valid e-mail address from a participating school. Academic Passes do not include e-reader editions, Premium Crosswords or The New York Times Crosswords apps. Mobile apps are not supported on all devices. Other restrictions may apply. All NYTimes.com Pass users receive access to The New York Times archives, including five free articles from 1923 through 1986 for their 24 hours of access. Pass users have unlimited access to archived articles outside the 1923–1986 date range during their 24 hours of access. Academic Passes are available only during the time that our school’s New York Times program is active.Read More
Instructure has posted a very informative guide about extra credit in Canvas?
You can find it here: Extra Credit Guide.
–WSU OnlineRead More
Take your online teaching to the next level.
WSU Online has purchased a package of workshop “seats” from the Sloan Consortium and would like to offer you the opportunity to enroll.
All you need to do is select an interesting topic from the 2013 schedule, send an email to RC Callahan (email@example.com) requesting enrollment, attend the online workshop, complete all the requirements, and forward the completion certificate to his attention.
It’s that easy!
Requests will be taken on a first come, first served basis. We have approx. 25 seats to giveaway, so act fast.
Check out the schedule by clicking the Sloan-C banner above.
NOTE: These workshops are not just webinars. They are actual classes that require you to log in regularly and complete assignments. We ask that you complete all assignments at a satisfactory level in order to receive a completion certificate. If in doubt about the time commitment, please don’t request a seat.